Here are some quick notes from the Los Angeles Clippers victory over the Portland Trailblazers in the club’s preseason opener:
- J.J. Redick (left quad contusion), Matt Barnes (sore left calf) and rookie Reggie Bullock were all inactive for tonight’s game. Rivers reiterated that sitting the plays is just a precautionary step. Nothing serious.
- DeAndre Jordan looked phenomenal tonight. He finished the night with 16 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks. Sure it’s the preseason and we must take all strides happening from now until opening night with caution, but the confidence that Doc Rivers has instilled in his was shown immensely.
- The more I watch Jared Dudley the more I feel comfortable with deeming him a “poor man’s Shane Battier“. He’s going to do all the right things for this club all while not needing to be force fed on offense. Defend. Rebound. Hit open shots. The Clippers got a winner with this one.
- #BYRONMULLENSWATCH: 16 minutes, 5 points (2-10 field goal, 1-7 three), 2 rebounds.
- Amidst all the big names that have come and gone from this Clippers team, Willie Green often gets left unnoticed. Stepping in for an inactive Redick, Green put up a decent. It may be preseason, but he’s showing that when his name is called he’ll be able to step in. The veteran guard finished the night with 14 points in 34 minutes.
- Blake Griffin and company may not want to be known as “Lob City” any more, but they, of course, had their fair share of alley-oops tonight including this play by DeAndre Jordan.
- Griffin (61 percent) and Jordan (42 percent) went 8 of 9 from the free-throw stripe. The apocalypse is here ladies and gentlemen.