Wow, first preseason game, and the Clippers lose by 29 points. I didn’t get to see the game on account of the game not being shown on television. So I just skimmed through the boxscore here and there throughout the night. Can’t say I’m not disappointed though. Preseason means nothing but a close game would have been more reassuring than this blowout. Especially since they’re our first opponents in the regular season. No matter though, still gotta have faith in our Clips.
Notes from the game
- Eric Gordon and Baron Davis did not play. Baron Davis still has some conditioning problems and Clippers have been pretty quiet about Gordon. All they said was that they pulled him out of practice early to rest. I think Coach VDN wanted to play the other players more and there’s no big secret injury in play right now.
- Willie Warren also didn’t play and neither did Voskuhl. I’m pretty sure Voskuhl is cut from the team. Don’t know the issue about Warren though.
- Portland had a 59% 3point percentage. They made 16-27 treys with Fernandez leading the team with 5 threes. Eric Gordon’s perimeter defense was sorely missed in this game and it shows.
- 26 turnovers by the Clippers. 17 of them coming from rookies. Bledsoe led with 6 TOs and Griffin with 5. It’s the first game and they’re still developing so I’m not going to worry much about it. They just need to learn how to take care of the ball more.
- Chris Kaman finished the game with 14 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block. Not really gaudy numbers but still the best numbers of the roster.
- Blake Griffin finished with 9 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, and 5 turnovers. I was expecting something better but this is his first real game since preseason last year so I’m not going to worry much.
- Aminu finished with 1 point, no rebounds, and 4 turnovers. He also fouled out. I feel like he is going to be a long project but if everything pans out, it’ll be worth it in the end.
- Brian Cook, the huge disappointing free agent signing of the offseason surprisingly did well. He had 9 points and did with 80% field goal percentage. I’m not expecting him to be a huge star or anything, but at least now I’m not that disappointed in the signing. He could be a good lift off the bench at times.
- If matchups went accordingly, it looked like LaMarcus Aldridge had his way with Blake Griffin. He finished with 17 points and 7 rebounds.
- 5 players in the Blazers had double digits in points while Clippers only had Chris Kaman. This is one of those games where a good ball distributor was missed. For everyone calling for Baron Davis’ head, don’t forget that he is probably the only true point guard we have until Eric Bledsoe develops more.
This is the first game of the preseason and a huge learning experience. No one should get worried yet. If things don’t improve in a week or so, then that’s when the panic button should be hit.
Next game is tomorrow at Sacramento against the Kings at 7PM. Not sure if it is going to be televised. Should be a treat watching Tyreke Evans faceoff against Blake Griffin.